Thursday, September 4, 2008

Male, Maldives-

Having transfer down from city to small city?! .. is another hard problem I have to facing off.

Male, Maldives. Center of Maldives, where all local people located in. At Indian Ocean and southern of both Sri Lanka and India. Exotic tropical island paradise – for people who come for resorts, for sure.

Male city is definitely different from all pictures, you have seen before. This is the city, not their resort. Everything going just like normal life.
But I was here during their fasting time- in September’08 and I’m having issue with food & accommodation, still.
I don’t do fasting, I need to eat- and therefore, its difficult for me in here while I’m not prepared with my own kitchen yet.

Shops and restaurant are closed during day time and they only open on their breakfast time, which is around 6 something late. And darn, I’m hungry in the mid of the day.
Good I found help from my humble friend, Camella here- She’s been so nice to me during my first time stay in Male. Thanks a lot, Mell!



What you see in here is the main road of Male. Population of the country stands around 300,000 people. They do speak English, instead of their language- Dhivehi. And for sure, mostly will be Muslim people.
Or maybe only the foreigner won’t be Muslim- There’s Filipino, Indonesian (only myself I found at the moment), American, Japanese, Chinese and even Vietnamese worker- whom I met them last time.

On the pict, left side is one of the old restaurant in here. One with the green wall and written garden restaurant. Called Sea Gull. Got lots of bats, hanging around on the tree above. Never really seen bats are flying everywhere so freely and amazing in my opinion.
I’m sure ‘my gothic friend’ would love to see it, when he plan to come down here.

This time climate wasn’t so friendly. It came suddenly hot or just rain like hell.
Food, I think its expensive in here. Also goods and stuffs in here.
Accommodation will be another problem too- since it’s so hard to find appropriate place and affordable rate.


This one will be small alley of street. Amazingly this street is also use for cars. Most houses in Male would be like this- It’s compact, due to their island is not that big, too.

Another thing is - You can’t even walk straight without having mirror in front of you, in your hand- You’ll need it.
My high heel shoes completely un-used over here. Been stuck few times on the street drain and spoil it.
So, back to flat shoes!!

2 comments: